Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lovely Lace

While I am the worlds biggest promoter of thrift shopping, it is still spending money. If you are trying to save money by buying thrift vs. buying retail that is great. But you still can burn a hole in your wallet if you go to any kind of store too often. 

Being a fervent Pinterest user, I enjoy looking through all the DIYs, but they all have so many steps and pieces. They end up being more of a "go to home depot/craft store and grocery store" and get too tired and frustrated before you can start.

So I wanted to bring up the realistic DIYs. Mine. I don't do long, involved projects. There isn't time, and I am not that patient. The project below I really encourage you to do as well, in your own way. I'm not going to talk about details and types of stitches and thread count. Only what I did. 


This is what I took out of my closet. Pretty eh. right? This is precisely what I did with it. I put it on. I measured on each side how much it needed to be taken in. I turned the dress inside out. I measured two inches and put a pin there. I pinned along each side. I then used my sewing machine and sewed along each side to bring the dress in. After that, I took black lace from Hancock's fabric, and added some lace sleeves, also by pinning the lace to the sleeves and then using the default stitch on the sewing machine. I added a black belt, and voila. I got this.
 
This Semantiks dress was purchased for $6.00 at a Salvation Army store, but because I could not try it on, it did not fit when I got home. This project probably took me a total of 40 minutes max. Now I get to have that new dress feel, without buying a new dress. The lace was purchased around $3.00 per yard. So, this dress ended up being $9.00. So, what piece of fashion can you put together?

No comments:

Post a Comment